"Het is niet omdat het moeilijk is dat we niet durven, het is omdat we niet durven dat het moeilijk is"

24 maart 2012

Navimag from Puerto Natales to Puerto Montt

The Navimag is a cargo ship that takes passengers as well. Initially I wanted to cross the south of Chile by the Carretera Austral, but due to blockades I had to find an alternative way to get to the middle of Chile and I did not want to cross Argentina again. So I chose to take the Navimag, a journey that takes four nights and three days. The full board price was quite ok, as I would spent the same amount in a hostel and going out for dinner. At the moment I booked the boat, I did not yet realize I booked a kind of fjord cruise ;).

So on Monday evening, after a happy hour of Pisco Sour, we embarked to the ship. We had to cross the cargo section and we realized that the ship was taking trailers with cows.
I found my bed in a very small room with four bedEars and four lockers...we had to take turns to unpack :)
I went straight to bed, as I was getting a cold AGAIN. The ship would leave Puerto Natales at 6 in the morning and oh yeah I noticed. The cows were complaining during the moment of departure.

Early in the moning, a voice through a microphone woke me up for breakfast. The food on this ship was good and a lot. In the moning there were cereals, bread with cheese and ham, porridge or scrambled eggs, thee, coffee...nice. And we had warm meals at noon AND as dinner.

During this trip, I spent most of the time on the deck to see sea lions, birds, dolphins and even whales. This is probably the only ship on which each passenger can enter the bridge and have a chat with the captain. So from this place we saw most of the animals. I saw a few times small dolphins, with white and grey colors, I saw many small sea lions of which I have pictures. I saw one time a whale only by its breathing and the second time I saw two whals far from the boat and they looked like a black line in the water. But hey I saw them!

The hount to see these whales become hilarious, as someone would sceam whale and then I seemed to be a rock...so we called the guy Rocked Man. haha I hung out with Ginger, Henny, Marian and Jenny...all single women. We had a name for all the guys on the ship and we even chose a mister handsome. I guess the whale haunting changes our mooths into men haunting ;)

Most of the time we had dry and even sunny weather. First we crossed channels next to Torres del Paine and the Glaciers Park, an area where only 170 people live in a small port called Puerto Eden. The only way to get in this town is by the Navimag. And it rains almost every day in this area...fun place to live I guess.
After this place, we went into open sea...and I had to lay down for an hour to avoid vomitting, although the waves were not high at all. After this nap, I feld much better. The third day, the Navimag left the Pacific and sailed between Chile and Chiloe.

After that day on sea, I did not hear the cows anymore, only one or to when we arrived in Puerto Montt. We think a lot of them died at sea, as they had to stand in a cage as big as they were, so no room to lie down or to walk around. Imagine you get seasick in that circumstance? I feld really bad about the cows, even on the first evening...maybe I should be a vegi...but I LOVE meat! Difficult choice, I have to think about it.

As this journey would not be real without a Bingo night, we played bingo the last evening. This journey is really a must if you want to have a few days off. It is much more fun to travel by boat then by bus! We arrived during the night in Puerto Montt and we desembarked at 8 in the moning, so everyone went to the bus terminal. I had to say goodbye to everyone, as most of them were going to Chiloe and I to Pucon, as I had been in Chiloe and the rest of the Lake District.

Geen opmerkingen: